Requirements for Marriage in the Bahamas

"Marriage is a fine institution, but I'm not ready for the institution yet!"...Mae West

The process, which is actually quite simple


  • You both must spend one day in Bahamas prior to submitting your application for a marriage license.
  • Fill out application for license at same time at registers office.
  • Pay nominal fee of $40.00, license valid 3 months (no blood test required)
  • Both parties must be in Bahamas when making application for license.
  • If either party is a minor under 18 years of age, parental consent is required. Obtain forms from Register General's office
  • If either party ever divorced, a certified or original final decree must be produced
  • If either party is widowed, the death certificate of deceased spouse must be produced
  • If any unmarried party is a resident of a country other than the US, a declaration certifying to the unmarried status must be sworn to before a Notary Public or other person authorized to administer oaths in the country of residence. This may also be prepared by an attorney or Notary Public in the Bahamas
  • Photo ID issued from government office from country of residence must be produced
  • Evidence of arrival in Bahamas must be produced; the Bahamas Immigration embarkation card will do

For further inquiry, call the Register's Offices on the various islands. In Freeport, Grand Bahama Island you may reach them at The Assistant Registrar General of The Bahamas, P.O. Box F-42602, Freeport, Grand Bahamas, Bahamas. Telephone 242-352-4934/7 or Fax 242-352-4060. Please note that there are further requirements for couples traveling from certain countries, such as Japan to wed in the Bahamas. Do be sure and ask about all details.


QUESTIONS?? Robyn Ferrier, Director of Romance, at 242-302-2034 or 1-888-NUPTIAL